Asistencia sanitaria

Health care

Before you start your stay at the University of Oviedo, you must take out medical insurance that will allow you to access the health care you may need in our country.

European Union

Students from member states of the European Union (Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Finland, Sweden and the European Economic Area (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland) can obtain health care from the Social Security during their stay in Spain, enjoying the same health care rights as Spaniards.

To do so, they must apply for a European health card at the competent institution in their country of origin and present a copy, in addition to their passport or identity card, at any Social Security centre in Spain. If you have any questions regarding your health insurance, you can go directly to the offices of the National Social Security Institute.

Other Countries

Students from non-European Union countries may obtain health care benefits if there is a reciprocity agreement with Spain: Andorra, Brazil (maximum 1 year), Chile (maximum 2 years), Ecuador (maximum 1 year), Paraguay (during the first three months after arrival in Spain) and Peru (maximum 1 year). To do so, they must request the corresponding form for entitlement to medical assistance in their country of origin and present it at any Social Security centre.

Contact address:

  • Instituto Nacional de la Seguridad Social: C/ Santa Teresa, 8 y 10. Oviedo
  • Telephone numbers: +34 985 10 78 00/ +34 985 10 78 18.

Private medical insurance offers

Foreign students who are not covered by any of the above-mentioned health care entitlements must take out private medical insurance. Students should directly contract the health coverage services that best suit their needs.