The University of Oviedo leads the European University Alliance INGENIUM, a university super-campus spread across ten countries with different languages that aims to facilitate inter-university cooperation.
INGENIUM was born out of the shared ambition of its ten partners to improve the existing inter-university cooperation between partner academic institutions and thus advance the challenges facing European universities. INGENIUM emerges as a "small European Union of universities" with the aim of creating integrated and recognised higher education training programmes, with educational and research collaborations in different areas of specialisation, building on the strengths of its partners.
INGENIUM emerged in 2020 as a result of the European Commission's European Universities Initiative and is supported by partner organisations ranging from regional and local governments to civil society groups. The INGENIUM alliance consists of the following universities:
- Germany – Karlsruhe University of Applied Sciences
- Bulgaria – Medical University of Sofia
- Spain – University of Oviedo
- Finland – South-East Finland University of Applied Sciences
- Frace – University of Rouen-Normandie
- Greece – University of Crete
- Ireland – Munster University of Technology
- Italy – Gabriele d'Annunzio" University of Chieti-Pescara
- Romanía – Technical University "Gheorghe Asachi" of Ia?i
- Sweden – University of Skövde
The more specific objectives of this European university supe-rcampus are to develop joint bachelor, master and doctoral programmes within the national and European regulatory frameworks, to support the collaboration of the research groups of the universities of the alliance, the promotion of teaching innovation and lifelong learning and the creation of a digital platform for communication, management and online teaching that will provide technological support to INGENIUM.
The University of Oviedo has taken over the leadership of INGENIUM after submitting a proposal to the 2022 call of the European Commission's European Universities initiative, which is part of the Partnerships of Excellence action of the Erasmus+ programme. The Asturian university, as coordinator of the proposal, will lead the management of the INGENIUM alliance.
This European University Union, which is born with a clear Europeanist vocation, will work in this line to promote sustainable development and the objectives of the European Green Deal, to support entrepreneurship and inclusiveness and to promote the knowledge of other languages, since INGENIUM is a cultural microcosm of up to ten languages of the European Union.
The total budget of INGENIUM is just over 14 million euros, of which the University of Oviedo will manage almost 1.6 million over a four-year period. The Regional Ministry of Science, Innovation and University of the Government of Asturias, the Asturian Federation of Entrepreneurs (FADE), the company COGERSA and the European Business and Innovation Centre of the Principality of Asturias (CEEI Asturias) will collaborate with the Asturian university in the achievement of INGENIUM's objectives.
- "INGENIUM Senior Summer School on Health, Wellbeing and Technology" . Pescara, Universidad "Gabriele d'Annunzio" de Chieti-Pescara, 19-23 de junio de 2023.
- "INGENIUM Senior Summer School on Language, Culture and Diversity". Karslruhe, Universidad de Ciencias Aplicadas de Karlsruhe , 13-17 de junio de 2023