In 2010, the University of Oviedo launched its Equality Unit with the aim of developing effective policies to ensure equal opportunities for men and women. Two years later this resulted in the academic institution’s first Equality Plan.
The Equality Unit operates in all areas as a cross-cutting element of university policies. Besides participating actively in campaigns against gender violence, sexist language and harassment, it ensures compliance with the regulations regarding occupational health, equal opportunities and family reconciliation.
In pursuance and execution of one of the priority lines of action and objectives of the Campus of International Excellence and in accordance with the provisions of Organic Law 3/2007 for effective equality between women and men, as well as the Organic Law on Universities itself, at the start of the academic year 2010-2011 the University of Oviedo began to introduce a gender perspective in university policies.
One of the main activities undertaken by the Equality Unit has been the drawing up of the University of Oviedo Equality Plan, a draft agreement by the Equality Commission approved by the Governing Council on 4 January 2013. This plan derives from the University of Oviedo Project on Gender and Equality (GENIUNIOVI), a ground-breaking research study that has served as a benchmark for researchers.
The activities of the Equality Unit are carried out by the Employability, Social Responsibility and Equality Area, under the Office of the Vice-Rector for Economic Planning, Agreements and Contracts.
Goals of the Equality Unit
- To ensure compliance with the laws on Equality and, in general, the effective implementation of the principle of equality in the administrative and educational spheres and the workplace.
- To report on the University regulations and procedures which have an impact on gender equality and equal opportunities.
- To inform and advise the governing bodies and committees of the University in matters of equality policy in fulfilment of the principle of equal opportunities between women and men.
- To promote awareness, educational and informative campaigns for the entire university community.
- To promote education and research on equality between men and women.
- To develop and implement Equality Plans at the University, establishing the goals, strategies and measures to adopt to achieve gender equality.
- To publicize the activities carried out in matters of equality at the University of Oviedo.
- Contact Information: