Request of Mediation by the University Ombudsman
Action conducted on demand by a member or a collective of the university community to solve disagreements and conflicts on university matters. Mediation is started when there is written permission by the parties involved. The agreements are binding for all these parties.
Any member of the university community.
The University Ombudsman will start the procedure of mediation to solve disagreements and conflicts in university matters between members of the university community when the parties involve give their written constent for mediation.
Body in charge
The University Ombudsman is the organ in charge of looking after the rights and liberties of teachers, students and the administrative staff, in order to avoid arbitrary actions or leaving them defenseless against the internal organs of the University.
Among their functions, the Ombudsman also receives any complaints made by any member of the university community who has a legitimate interest; mediates in the disagreements and differences between members or collectives of the university community and proposes solutions to reconcile them or make them agree with each other; gives recommendation, suggestions, warning and reminders of legal responsibilities in the matters in which they have participated, and, lastly, presents the annual report to the Board.
The actions of the University Ombudsman are not subjected to any imperative designation of any university instance and will be regulated by the principles of independence, impartiality, autonomy and confidentiality.
The meeting of the Board that took place on December 15, 2011 proclaimed Prof. Ramón Durán Rivacoba, Tenured Professor of Civil Law, University Ombudsman of the University of Oviedo, who took possession of his position on Decemeber 17, 2012. His term has a duration of five years.
Contact of the body in charge
Office of the University Ombudsman
- HTS of Mining, 1st floor. Independencia, 13. 33004 - Oviedo
- 985 10 29 30 / 985 10 29 31
- 985 10 29 35
The Ombudsman will send the request for mediation in a period of no more than five days since its submission to any party affected by it and will request from them a written answer, before ten days, on the approval or rejection of the mediation. If no answer is given in the estipulated period, it will be understood as a rejection of the offer.
Requests for mediation will not suspend the period legally estipulated by the administrative and legal procedures.
When the mediation is accepted, the Ombudsman will give the parties invole a period of no less than 10 days to present the allegations and coumentation that they deemed necessary.
After said period has concluded, the Ombudsman will meet the parties in a conference that will take place within the three next days, and where they will try to reach an agreement, proposing transactional formulae to resolve the issues within 10 days.
The aforementioned periods only include week days.
Ways to apply
- The requests for mediation will be presented at the Registry of the Ombudsman, via a written document that will have to include the personal information of the applicant, their address for notifications, the collective to which they belong, the events that motivate the request, the person that caused them and the intent to apply for the process of mediation.
- Via the online application: https://euniovi.uniovi.es/DefensorExpedientes/privado/solicitante/menu
Places to submit
- General Registry of the University of Oviedo. Plaza del Riego 4. 33003 - Oviedo
- Auxiliary Registries:
- Administration of the Scientific-Technical Building of the Campus of Mieres. Gonzalo Gutiérrez de Quirós. 33600 - Mieres.
- Administration of the Campus of Gijón. Southern Classroom Building - University Campus. 33203 - Gijón.
- Classroom Building of Legal and Social Sciences. Campus of El Cristo-A. Catedrático Valentín Andrés Álvarez. 33006 - Oviedo.
- Building of University Services of Avilés. Ferrería, 7-9. 33402 - Avilés.
- Administration of the Campus of El Milán. Teniente Alfonso Martínez. 33011 - Oviedo.