Certificate Degrees and Continuing Education
Specialist's Degree in Orthodontics
Teaching Languages: Spanish
Número mínimo de alumnos exigido: 10
Duration: 1.450 horas – 58 Créditos ECTS (435 horas presenciales / 31,6 créditos ECTS teóricos / 26,4 créditos ECTS prácticos /1.015 no presenciales)
Tuition Fee: 20.000 € (en dos plazos de 10.000 € )
Being in possession of an official University Degree. Nevertheless, exceptionally, admission will be extended to professionals directly related to to the speciality of the course who lack a Degree, as long as they prove their professional careers and meet the legal criteria to access University courses.
Please check the Agreement of November 29, 2007 of the Governing Council of the University of Oviedo, which approves the regulation of studies leading to Certificate Degrees and other Postgraduate Degrees (BOPA, January 12, 2008).
This course is exclusively intended for graduates in Odonthology
- Academic record: maximum 4 points
- PhD Programme: maximum 4 points
- Other qualifications relating to odonthology (courses, congresses, prizes, courses in accredited centers, etc.): Maximum 4 points
- Candidates who meet the requirements will be summoned per telephone, emai and sms to a written test in September. The test consists of 50 multiple choice questions on general topics relating to orthodontics: maximum 10 points.
The test will be held in September at the Aula Magna of the Teaching Dental Clinic (C/ catedrático José Serrano s/n. OVIEDO)
A personal interview will be held in case of tie in the global score.
- Plazo general de preinscripción: 1 de junio a 18 de agosto
- Publicación de listas provisionales: 4 de septiembre
- Reclamaciones a las listas provisionales: 5 y 6 de septiembre
- Listas definitivas: 12 de septiembre
- Plazo general de matrícula: 13 a 19 de septiembre
Modality: Attendance required (7 days per month)
- specific schedule pending
Teaching Center: Clínica Universitaria Odontología / Instituto Asturiano de Odontología
More Information: Full Description of the Master's Degree
EThe course aims to provide the students with the knowledge and skills necessary for the treatment of different dental and skeletical malocclussions ang gain the training and expertise necessary to access the Master's course in Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics of the University of Oviedo.
Orthodontics is the branch of Dentistry addressed to the supervision, care and correction of dento-alveolar position abnormalities both during the growing stage and in adulthood comprising both tooth movement and orthopedic correction of jawbone malformations.
The Master's course includes cademic and practical teaching that covers: all aspects of orthodontics diagnosis and care including normal development; growth modification; fixed, functional and retaining applicances and the biological principles of orthodontic tooth movement as well as multidisciplinary treatment involving orthognathic surgery and restorative dentistry.
Orthodontics also seeks the aesthetic of the teeth and face and in a world of constant audiovisual communication, it plays a corrector role of the face and mouth image for psychosocial purposes. The society is sensitive to the malposition and irregularity of the teeth that makes the smile less attractive and occasionaly creates psychological or social relationship problems. Disproportionate growth of one of the jaws alters occlusions and distorts the face, which conditions in some individuals their psychological profile or personal welfare.
Orthodontics is considered a brach of dentristry in most countries of the Eruopean Union and the United States. In Spain, Orthodontics is not recognised as such, so there is a need to expand Orhodontics studies carried out during the Bachelor of Dentristry. Moreover, the need for control and monitoring of the patients for at least two years (average length of the orthodontic treatment) justifies the need for this kind of training.
This course lasts 1.200 hours distributed into 2 terms of 48 ECTS credits.
I. DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENT PLAN IN ORTHODONTICS:
- Intraoral and extraoral examination.
- Aims of the orthodontic treatment.
- Age of treatment.
- Therapeutic sequence.
- Normal and abnormal craniofacial development and growth. Clinical application.
III. ORTHODONTIC INTERCEPTIVE AND PREVENTIVE PROCEEDINGS:
- Age of orthodontic treatment.
- Therapeutic phases in orthodontics.
- Design, preparation and application of removable appliances.
IV. BIOMECHANICS IN ORTHODONTICS:
- Histophysiology of tooth movement.
- Wire-bending. Trypodont practicals.
V. DIRECT AND INDIRECT BONDING:
- Brackests, bands and apparatology bonding.
- Placing of first bows.
VI. SEQUENCE OF MALOCCLUSIONS TREATMENTS OF TYPE I-II-III:
- Treatment phases of each type of malocclusion.
VII. SEQUENCE OF TREATMENT OF MALOCCLUSIONS: TRANSVERSAL AND OPEN BITES.
VIII. ORTHODONTIC TECHNIQUES:
- (1) Edgewise and straight arch wire.
- (2) Low friction and self-ligating .
- Introduction to Lingual Orthodontics.
IX. MULTIDISCIPLINARY TREATMENTS:
- Combined treatment of Orthodontics/Periodontics.
- Introduction to the combined treatment of Orthodontics/Orthognathic surgery.
- Combined treatment of Orthodontics/Integrated dentistry.
- Treatment of adult patients.
- Preparation, presentation and discussion of real cases.
- Diagnosing patients.
XI. TREATMENT OF THE TEETH ON THE INSIDE AND INTRODUCTION TO THE COMBINED TREATMENT OF CLEFT PATIENTS.
XII. DIRECT BONDING AND BIOMECHANICS APPLIED TO PATIENTS.
XIII. ORTHODONTIC TREATMENT OF PATIENTS WITH TEMPOROMANDIBULAR JOINT DYSFUCNTION
XIV. RETENTION AND RELAPSE:
- Waste of space systems that minimize relapse.
XV. PROJECT AND ASSESSMENT
Juan Cobo Plana
University Clinic of Dentistry
C/ Catedrático José María Serrano, 10 Bajo. 33006. Oviedo
Fax: 985 966 032
Director/a: Juan Cobo
Other Websites of the Master's Degree: