Spanish Courses for Foreign Students
In addition to providing students with knowledge of Spanish through participative learning methods, the courses La Casa de las Lenguas offers for foreigners affords them a more comprehensive view of Spain and Latin America's multicultural reality.
Since 1978, the Courses of Spanish Language and Culture for Foreigners has developed an academic offering that enables students to broaden their learning of Spanish and to enjoy all that the Principality of Asturias has to offer. The Spanish courses with specialised teaching staff stand out for the personalised attention and flexibility this type of teaching demands.
Duration, schedule and levels
La Casa de las Lenguas organises eight different types of courses of varying duration:
- Spanish for Beginners
- Spanish Language and Culture
- Intensive Spanish Course for University Exchange students (Erasmus, Socrates, Tempus students...)
- Intensive Summer Courses
- Spanish as a Foreign Language Exam (DELE) Preparation Course
- Spanish Courses for Specific Purposes
In the Spanish Language and Culture courses, students can choose five areas from a selection of nine subjects taught by specialists whose contents are structured around issues such as Grammar within a communicative context, Vocabulary, Phonetic Correction, Spanish Literature, Latin American Literature and Culture, and Spanish History and Art. Classes are held in the morning, Monday through Friday.
Many different levels are offered that, in each course, will adapt to the specific needs of the aptitude demonstrated by the students in the classifying exams:
- Autumn Course (October-December): 5 language levels: Intermediate I (A2), II (B1), III (B2). Advanced I (C1) and II (C1.1)
- Spring Course (January-May): 5 language levels: Intermediate I (A2), Intermediate II (B1), Advanced I (B2.1), Advanced II (C1) and Advanced III (C1.1)
- Intensive Course from May to June: 3 levels
- Intensive Course July: 8 levels
- July Hispanic Heritage Course. C1 and C2
- Intensive Course August: 5 levels
The Spanish for Foreigners courses are staffed by teachers with broad experience and specific training in teaching Language and Culture to foreign students. University of Oviedo PhD faculty members specialised in subjects such as Spanish Language, Literature, English-Spanish, French-Spanish, German-Spanish Translation and the History of Spain also collaborate on a regular basis.
Learning is based on systematic, efficient practice of the four skills (oral and written comprehension and expression). In addition, the Courses offer Spanish Literature, Latin American Literature, History, Art, Business Spanish and Cinema classes, enabling students to acquire a full view of Spanish and Latin American multicultural reality.
Diplomas and Certificates
- An on-going evaluation system is used in all the subjects and a language exam will be given at the end of the course. Students who pass this exam will receive an Official Certificate issued by the University of Oviedo, which will confirm all the subjects studied, the number of hours and grade.
- Should a student not take the final exam, they will receive a Diploma of Attendance and Participation for the course.