PhD Programme in Chemical, Biochemical and Structural Analysis and Computational Modeling
Number of places: 20
Languages: Spanish and English
- Elisa Blanco González
- Marta Elena Díaz García
- José Ignacio García Alonso
- María Jesus Lobo Castañón
- José Manuel Recio Muñiz
- María Luisa Fernández Sánchez
PhD Programme in Chemical, Biochemical and Structural Analysis and Computational Modeling of the University of Oviedo
This PhD Programme aims at providing a solution to the new challenges of modern Physical and Analytical Chemistry. These disciplines have been constituted as key tools in fields as diverse as: new materials, computational chemistry, environmental analysis, clinical and biomedical analysis, forensic analysis and structural and surface characterization. Especifically, this PhD Programme aims at further developing the knowledge on the available modern techniques of analysis, and, to achieve this, it has four main lines of research that work specially in miniaturization in Analytical Chemistry; techniques of Mass Spectometry; Modern electrochemical techniques; Advanced separation techniques; techniques to characterize solids and surfaces; computational calculations and X-ray difraction.
Access and Admission
The access profile will be that of a Graduate in Chemistry who has finished the Master's Degree in Analytical and Bioanalytical Sciences of the University of Oviedo. Nevertheless, other access profiles will also be accepted if they include a Master's Degree in any scientific speciality. Bachelors in Mathematics, Physics, Biology, Environmental Sciences, Pharmacy, etc. will be able to enrol in a quality PhD Programme in Physical and Analytical Chemistry. Moreover, this open access profile facilitates the cross-curricularity of the research and the collaboration with other PhD Programmes of the University of Oviedo.
The current PhD Programme requires a basic knowledge of at least one of the two languages it is offered in (Spanish and English) and an advanced knowledge of some scientific discipline (Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biology, Pharmacy, etc.) with a level of Master's Degree.
Criteria for Admissions:
At least one of the two languages used in teaching (Spanish and English) are required to enrol in this PhD Programme. Certification of the language level will be provided through a personal interview.
Enrollment will be open exclusively for applicants who have completed a Master's Degree in Science.
The following criteria will be used to select applicants when the number of pre-registration exceeds the number of available places:
- Academic record (Undergraduate + Master's): Up to 4 points.
- Graduate or Bachelor in Chemistry or equivalent: 2 points.
- Master's Degree in Analytical and Bioanalytical Sciences of the University of Oviedo: 1 point.
- Other Master's Degrees in Analytical Chemistry or Physical Chemistry: 0,5 points
Enrolled students whose previous formation does not include Chemistry will need to take some subjects from the Master's Degree in Analytical and Bioanalytical Sciences of the University of Oviedo. Depending on the line of research assigned and the Degree of the candidate, the Tutor will decide which specific subjects are needed as formative complements, up to 18 ECTS credits.
- Total Amount of Hours: 60
Description of the Activity: This activity aims at working on the basic competences and working on the general capacities and skills of the PhD students.
It is composed of seminars and the PhD Conferences. The Seminars will approach, among other topics, contents related to the dissemination and communication of research or the quality entry in the working world as specific formation in the topics related with more than one field of research. The PhD Conferences combine conferences, panels and participative sessions, as well as the showcase of "posters" that explain the contents of the theses and the advances of the research that is being conducted by the PhD Students.
A detailed annual scheduled will be composed and made available at the website of the International Center for Postgraduate Studies (http://cei.uniovi.es/postgrado).
The goal is that the PhD students acquire, among others, the following learning results:
- Searching for scientific information online.
- Creating, presenting and publishing scientific information.
- Creating and presenting a patent.
- Knowing the basic principles of enterprise creation and self-employment.
- Exchanging knowledge between PhD students.
- Disseminating their research activity among the enterprises and the whole of the Asturian society.
- Finding professional alternatives to the development of their university research career.
- Highlighting their role as innovator to the enterprise.
This activity is compulsory for all the PhD students of the University of Oviedo, who have to attend for a minimum of 60 hours during their formative period.
Teaching languages will be Spanish and/or English.
Monitoring Procedures: An individualized control of attendance will be performed. When deemed necessary, the performance of the PhD student in these activities will be assessed with an essay or project whose precise specifications will be given to them by the people in charge of said formative activity.
All these controls are part of the document of activities of the PhD student (DAD), which will be regularly revised by the Tutor and the Director of the Thesis, and evaluated by the Academic Committee in charge of the Programme.
Mobility Actions: Not applicable
- Total Amount of Hours: 40
Description of the Activity: Candidates will have to attend, at least, one national or international scientific congress during the composition of their PhD Thesis. This activity is aimed at developing the CB15 and CB16 competences.
Monitoring procedure: An individualized attendance control will be enforced. Participation in congresses will be part of the document of activities of the PhD student (DAD), which will be regularly revised by the Tutor and the Director of the Thesis, and evaluated by the Academic Committee in charge of the Programme.
Mobility actions: Funding of this activity will depend on Grants, Financial Aid, Projects and Research Contracts that the research groups involved may acquire. If funding is not possible, candidates will be exempt from this activity.
- Total Amount of Hours: 60
Description of the Activity: Candidates will have to publish, at least, one scientific article in an indexed journal during the composition of their PhD Thesis. This activity is aimed at developing the CB15 and CB16 competences.
Monitoring procedure: The publication of a scientific article will be part of the document of activities of the PhD student (DAD), which will be regularly revised by the Tutor and the Director of the Thesis, and evaluated by the Academic Committee in charge of the Programme.
Mobility Actions: Not applicable.
Lines of Research
Análisis químico, bioquímico y estructural
- Arias Abrodo, Pilar
- Badia Laíño, Rosana
- Bettmer, Jorg
- Blanco González, Elisa
- Blanco López, María Carmen
- Costa Fernández, José Manuel
- Costa García, Agustín
- De la Escosura Muñiz, Alfredo
- Díaz García, Marta Elena
- Fernández Abedul, María Teresa
- Fernández Fernández-Argüelles, María Teresa
- Fernández García, Beatriz
- Fernández González, Alfonso
- Fernández Sánchez, María Luisa
- García Alonso, José Ignacio
- García Calzón, Josefa Ángela
- García Granda, Santiago
- González Gago, Adriana
- Gutiérrez Álvarez, María Dolores
- Hevia Sánchez, David
- Lobo Castañón, María Jesús
- Lobo Revilla, Lara
- Marchante Gayón, Juan Manuel
- Martínez Tarazona, Rosa
- Miranda Castro, Rebeca
- Moldovan Feier, Mariella
- Montes Bayón, Maria
- Ovian Ania, Marica Concepción
- Pereiro García, Rosario
- Pérez Carreño, Enrique
- Rodriguez González, Pablo
- Ruiz Encinar, Jorge
- Santos Alvarez, Noemi
- Soldado Cabezuelo, Ana Belén
- Van der Maelen Uria, Juan Francisco
Química teórica y modelización computacional
- Alvarez-Uria Franco, Ruth
- Costales Castro, Aurora
- Díaz Fernández, Natalia
- Fernández Martínez, Juan Luis
- Florez Alonso, Manuel
- Francisco Miguelez, Evelio
- López Rodríguez, Ramón
- Luaña Cabal, Víctor
- Martín Pendas, Angel
- Menéndez Rodríguez, Isabel
- Otero de la Roza, Alberto
- Pertierra Castro, Pilar
- Recio Muñiz, José Manuel
- Salvado Sánchez, Miguel Angel
- Suárez Rodríguez, Dimas
Centro Internacional de Postgrado
- Plaza de Riego, s/n, 33003- Oviedo
- 985 10 40 75 / 985 10 40 76
- Correo Electrónico:
- Elisa Blanco González