Master's Degree in Integrity and Durability of Materials, Components and Structures
- Teaching Languages:
- 15 (in each of the participating universities in Oviedo, Burgos and Cantabria)
- The duration of this Master's Degree is of one year and it corresponds to the study of 60 ECTS credits, distributed in: Basic Module (8 credits), Structural Integrity (20 credits), Auxiliary Technologies of Professional Nature (12 credits), Specialized Module (8 credits) and Master's Thesis (12 credits).
- Access Requirements:
The entry requirements are stipulated by Royal Decree 1393/2007, that is: to hold a university degree in engineering or a degree issued by a higher institution integrated in the European Higher Education Area in the field of engineering or related areas.
In the admission process, the University of Oviedo will take into consideration the curriculum vitae or résumé of the student, the personal academic transcript and the professional experience, as well as other courses, mobility during the previous studies and the knowledge of languages.
The system for admission to cover the 15 places available will be based on the Curriculum Vitae of the applicant, with an special value of the academic record and, moreover, their professional experience, their participation in other formative programs, mobility actions during the Undergraduate Degree and knowledge of the Spanish and English languages.
Graduates or professionals of enterprises who wish to expand the contents of the Master's Degree with the main objective of forming specialist technicians who are capable of leading in the future of scientific and technological innovations that translate into augmenting the security in the service of industrial components and installations, avoiding failures and accidents, augmenting the lifespan of the aforementioned installations and using as best as possible the available materials.
- Attendance required
- Monday to Friday, from 5pm to 8pm
- Teaching Center:
University of Oviedo (Higher Polytechnic School of Engineering of Gijón)
University of Burgos (Higher Polytechnic School)
University of Cantabria (Higher Polytechnic School of Road, Canal and Ports Engineering)
- Summary of the Degree
- Informe de verificación, seguimiento y acreditación
- Composición de la comisión de calidad
- Autorización de implantación (BOPA)
- Carácter oficial del título (BOE)
- Asignaturas, horarios, profesores, guías docentes y competencias del título
- Te ayudamos con los trámites
- Reconocimiento de créditos y normativa de permanencia
- Enlace al RUCT
- Sistema de garantía interna de calidad
- Estudiantes con necesidades especiales
This Master's Programme has been designed by three Spanish universities: the University of Burgos, the University of Cantabria and the University of Oviedo. Its main goal is to provide Engineering students with specialized training on the analysis of the behaviour of industrial materials and components, from its sizing and calculation, to the selection of the appropriate materials as well as the manufacturing, joint and protection processes. This programme focuses on the deterioration processes of all kind of components and material as a consequence of mechanical stress, extreme temperatures or aggressive environments, as well as other defects and the interaction of all of these conditions. Other important aspect that this Master's Course teaches is to assess existing defects and to calculate the life of components in the different situations of their use (under static or dynamic loads, under extreme low or high temperatures, in different aggressive environments) and to analise failures concerning different real components in order to propose corrective measures to avoid recurrence.
Thanks to its curriculum, this programme aims at training technicians who are capable to apply their knowledge in order to design, build, assemble and maintain components and structures that are capable of providing a safe service during its expected service life, and to take actions in order to extend the useful life of these components.
The capabilities and knowledge provided will be an asset to work in different industrial sectors such as: metal and materials, chemical and petrochemicals, capital goods, energy generation, automation, etc. Therefore, this Master's Degree trains specialized technicians who will be able to lead, in the future, the scientific and technological innovations that will serve to improve security of industrial components and facilities, to avoid failures, to extent the useful life of facilities and to make the best possible use of the materials available.
MODULE I: Basic module (8 ECTS)
- Structural materials (4 ECTS) – Coordinator: University of Oviedo
- Theory of elasticity and plasticity (4 ECTS) – Coordinator: University of Burgos
MODULE II: Structural Integrity (20 ECTS)
- Fracture Mechanics (4 ECTS) – Coordinator: University of Oviedo
- Fatigue, stress corrosion cracking and creep (4 ECTS) – Coordinator: University of Cantabria
- Corrosion, oxidation, wear and protection (4 ECTS) – Coordinator: University of Burgos
MODULE III: Professional supporting technologies (12 ECTS)
- Welding and other joint technologies(4 ECTS) – Coordinator: University of Oviedo
- Inspection techniques and non-destructive trials (4 ECTS) – Coordinator: University of Oviedo
MODULE I: Structural Integrity (20 ECTS)
- Numerical simulation of materials, components and structures (4 ECTS) – Coordinator: University of Burgos
- Structural integrity assessment procedures (4 ECTS) – Coordinator: University of Cantabria
MODULE II: Professional supporting technologies (12 ECTS)
- Failure analysis (4 ECTS) – Coordinator: University of Cantabria
MODULE III: Specialized module (8 ECTS)
- Advanced seminar I (4 ECTS) – Coordinator: All universities
- Advanced seminar II (4 ECTS) – Coordinator: All universities
Master's Thesis (12 ECTS) – Coordinator: All universities
- Detailed Information on the Syllabus:
This Master's Degree has been designed as an interuniversity programme and there are three Spanish Universities participating in it: the University of Oviedo, the University of Burgos and the University of Cantabria. Each subject has been assigned to a University, which will appoint one of its teacher to act as the subject supervisor. Said teacher will teach the basic aspect of the subject to all students using a videoconference system or similar communication programme. Furthermore, in each University there will be a second teacher who will answer the student's doubts, tutor students, teach support classes, etc.
This Master's Degree is divided into 4 modules plus the Master's Thesis:
FIRST TERM (28 ECTS)
SECOND TERM (32 ECTS)
(*) A videocall system will be used to monitor the subjects whose theoretical part is taught by a different university from where the student had enrolled. Nevertheless, practical classes of all the subjects will be offered at the three universities.
(**) All the subjects are taught by assigning 15 hours to the exposition of their contents and 15 hours to practice of the theory, lab work, visits to enterprises, etc. apart from the hours needed to present the individual or group work required in each of them.
- International Center for Postgraduate Studies
Plaza de Riego. Historical Building
- 985 10 49 17 / 985 10 49 18
- 985 10 49 59
- International Center for Postgraduate Studies
- Francisco Javier Belzunce Varela
- +34 985 18 20 24
Other Websites of the Master's Degree:
Internationalization and Companies
Empresas que ofertan prácticas externas
- Ecole Nationale de Mécanique et D'aérotechnique (France)
- Università degli Studi di Padova (Italy)
- Selcuk Universitesi (Turkey)