Master's Degree in Electrical Energy Conversion and Power Systems
- Teaching Languages:
- 2 years (120 ECTS credits)
- Access Requirements:
In order to register in an official Master's Degree, it is mandatory to have completed an official degree in Spain or in any higher education institution of a member state of the European Union integrated in the European Higher Education Area (EHEA) that allows students to take a Master's Degree. Students who have obtained their degree outside the EHEA can be admitted as long as the University can verify that these qualifications have a similar level to the corresponding degrees in Spain and they permit graduates to take a Master's Course.
This Master's Degree is aimed, mainly, at Technical Engineers, Graduates in Engineering and Engineers, or people interested in Potence Systems related to the Efficient Conversion of Energy, who are willing to work in a multi-disciplinary, multi-national and multi-cultural environment. In any case, students require basic knowledge of technology (electrical, electronic and automatic) and management (energetic efficiency, techno-economic management). Moreover, students must provide a certificate of their level of English Language, of at least: 6.0 in the IELTS examination with at least a 5.0 in each section; 550 points in the paper-based TOEFL with at least a 4.0 in the writing section, or a 79 in the Internet-based TOEFL with at least 17 in each section.
- Attendance required
- Mornings or afternoons depending on the course or subject.
- Teaching Center:
- Polytechnic School of Engineering of Gijón (Campus of Viesques in Gijón)
- Summary of the Degree
- Informe de verificación, seguimiento y acreditación
- Composición de la comisión de calidad
- Autorización de implantación (BOPA)
- Carácter oficial del título (BOE)
- Asignaturas, horarios, profesores, guías docentes y competencias del título
- Te ayudamos con los trámites
- Reconocimiento de créditos y normativa de permanencia
- Enlace al RUCT
- Sistema de garantía interna de calidad
- Estudiantes con necesidades especiales
The main goal of this Master's Degree is the training of qualified staff in areas related to electrical energy management. This Master's Course offers a double approach: scientific and professional.
In the scientific study track, training focuses on the design of two main applications: Electrical Power Systems and Electrical and Hybrid Traction Systems. Students will be able to join a research group in the field of renewable energies and electrical traction, in either the University of Oviedo or any other company. Students who choose to take this path will also be able to access a PhD programme if they decide to do so.
In the professional study track, training focuses on the management of electrical energy, so that graduates of this Master's Programme will be able to work in the management area of energy sector companies. Thus, subjects have been designed taking into account two main issues: energy management in large consumers, and the generation and transmission of electrical energy in a liberalized market.
- The first term is intended to provide a standard level of knowledge among students with different background training. This levelling term offers a set of optional subjects designed to promote the homogenization of students' knowledge.
- The second term offers several compulsory subjects that will promote the acquisition of the Master's common skills.
- The third term has been designed according to two approaches: professional and academic. The first one focuses on the acquisition of the neccessary competences for managing electric energy, and specially energy efficiency and renewable energies. The second one provides in-depth knowledge on technology development and industrial design, two issues that are detailed in the specific competences of two of the master's main lines: "Power Systems" and "Electric / Hybrid Vehicle".
- The last term has been designed to complete students' training. Subjects taught during this period are of a general nature and they address issues related to the socio-economic impact of the technologies studied during the course. In addition, students have to complete their Master's Thesis and an internship period. This term also contains the necessary ECTS credits on scientific methods to access PhD studies, according to the regulations of the University of Oviedo.
- Introduction to Renewable Energy Power Systems, Electrical Traction and Energy Efficiency (3 ECTS)
- Dynamic Analysis and Modelling of Electric Machines (3 ECTS)
- Electronic CAD (3 ECTS)
- Power Electronics Circuits (3 ECTS)
- Control of Electromechanical Systems (3 ECTS)
- Dynamic Control of AC Machines (3 ECTS)
- Power Electronics Devices (3 ECTS)
- Power Plants (6 ECTS)
- Power Systems Operation (4.5 ECTS)
- Electrical Utilities and Facilities (3 ECTS)
- Electric Machines for Generation and Traction (3 ECTS)
- Microcontrollers (3 ECTS)
- Digital Signal Processing and Communications (3 ECTS)
- Hybrid Control Systems (3 ECTS)
- Electric Transmission Networks (4.5 ECTS)
- Analysis, Modeling and Simulation of Electric Power Systems (6 ECTS)
- Control and Monitoring in Renewable Energy Generation Systems (6 ECTS)
- Industrial Electronics in Renewable Energy Generation Systems (6 ECTS)
- Distributed Generation Systems and Power Quality (6 ECTS)
- Laboratory (6 ECTS)
- Applied Simulation to Power Systems (3 ECTS)
- Technical-Economic Management
- Energy Strategies and Policies (3 ECTS)
- Regulation and Directives (3 ECTS)
- Economical and Financial Analysis (6 ECTS)
- Electrical Energy Project Management (renewable and conventional) (6 ECTS)
- Electrical Markets (6 ECTS)
- Internship (3 ECTS)
- Scientific-Technical Research
- Power Systems in Hybrid (HEV) and Electric Vehicles (EV) (6 ECTS)
- Energy Storing and Recovering in Power Systems and Hybrid/Electric Vehicles (HEV/EV) (6 ECTS)
- Flexible AC Transmission Systems (FACTS) and High Voltage DC (HVDC) (6 ECTS)
- Microgrids and Smartgrids (6 ECTS)
- Applied Simulation to Hybrid/Electric Vehicles (HEV/EV)(3 ECTS)
- Challenges and Tendencies in Future Power Systems (4.5 ECTS)
- Energy Efficiency (4.5 ECTS)
- Generic and Specific Topics in Scientific Research (3 ECTS)
- Master's Thesis (18 ECTS)
- Detailed Information on the Syllabus:
This Master's Programme consists of 4 terms divided in two years:
FIRTS TERM (Levelling Stage)
Each student must complete 30 ECTS, depending on their previous background. The teaching committee will consider every application form independently, selecting 30 ECTS credits for every student from the available optional subjects.
OPTIONAL SUBJECTS (Students must complete 27 ECTS)
SECOND TERM (Common Skills Stage)
THIRD TERM (Specialization Stage)
Students will have to specialize in one of the following two areas:
FOURTH TERM (Final Stage)
- University of Oviedo
International Center for Postgraduate Studies
Plaza de Riego. Historical Building
- 985 10 49 17 / 985 10 49 18
- 985 10 49 59
- University of Oviedo
- Cristina González-Morán
- 985 18 22 75
- Jorge García García
- 985 18 20 17
Other Websites of the Master's Degree:
Internationalization and Companies
Movilidad de estudios
- Università degli Studi di Padova (Italy)
- Università degli Studi di Roma La Sapienza (Italy)
Empresas que ofertan prácticas externas
- Gamesa Electric
- Ikerlan S.Coop.
- Imasa Ingeniería y Proyectos S.A.