Master in Biotechnology of Environment and Health
- Teaching Languages:
- Spanish (30%) and English (70%)
- 2 years (120 ECTS credits)
- Access Requirements:
In order to register in an official Master's Degree, it is mandatory to have completed an official degree in Spain or in any higher education institution of a member state of the European Union integrated in the European Higher Education Area (EHEA) that allows students to take a Master's Degree. Students who have obtained their degree outside the EHEA can be admitted as long as the University can verify that these qualifications have a similar level to the corresponding degrees in Spain and they permit graduates to take a Master's Course.
This Master's Programme is specially designed for Graduates in Biotechnology or any other related area such as: Biology, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Pharmacy or Medicine among others; as well as for all professionals who are interested in broadening their knowledge on biotechnological applications related to the environment and health.
Furthermore, candidates must prove that they have an English and Spanish language ability equivalent to level B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, since the Master's course will be taught in both languages. Students who wish to benefit from the agreement that the University of Oviedo holds with the Université de Pau et des Pays de l'Adour (France), or from any other Erasmus agreement, will have to prove that they are competent in the language required in each respective agreement..
Students who meet the following requirements will be also admitted to the programme:
- Have training in experimental sciences, in health sciences or in scientific and technical research with significant training in subjects related to chemistry and life sciences.
- Students with a different profile may be considered for admission provided that they complete additional complimentary courses (which will be determined on an individual basis).
- Show interest and a favourable attitude towards disciplines with no apparent relation to their degrees. Show an interest for interdisciplinarity and an ability to adapt to heterogeneous professional and human environments.
Double-degree: Students have the possibility to obtain a doublé degree if they complete two semestres in any of the following institutions: Université de Pau et des Pays de l'Adour (Francia), TEC de Monterrey (México), Universitá di Bologna (Italia), University of Cranfield (Reino Unido).
- Attendance required
- Monday to Friday, from 3:00pm to 7:00pm.
- Teaching Center:
- Faculty of Biology of the University of Oviedo
- Other universities: Université de Pau et des Pays de l'Adour (France), TEC de Monterrey (Mexico), Universitá di Bologna (Italy), University of Cranfield (United Kindgdom).
- Summary of the Degree
- Informe de verificación, seguimiento y acreditación
- Composición de la comisión de calidad
- Autorización de implantación (BOPA)
- Carácter oficial del título (BOE)
- Asignaturas, horarios, profesores, guías docentes y competencias del título
- Te ayudamos con los trámites
- Reconocimiento de créditos y normativa de permanencia
- Enlace al RUCT
- Sistema de garantía interna de calidad
- Estudiantes con necesidades especiales
After having successfully completed this course, students will be able to pursue the following jobs and tasks:
- Environmental consulting and risk assessment.
- Development and implementation of biotechnology solutions.
- Project Manager and Multidisciplinary Team Manager.
- Creation and management of biotechnology companies.
- Teaching biotechnology, biomedicine and environmental technology, as well as doing research on those fields.
- Université de Pau et des Pays de l'Adour: Environmental Microbiology
- TEC de Monterrey: Biotechnological Engineering
- Universitá di Bologna: Medical biotechnology
- Genomic and nucleic acid biotechnology(4 ECTS)
- Bacterial biotechnology (4 ECTS)
- Biotechnologyde of filamentous fungi and yeasts (4 ECTS)
- Animal cell biotechnology(4 ECTS)
- Plant biotechnology (4 ECTS)
- Professional skills in biotechnology (5 ECTS)
- Laboratory safety (3 ECTS)
- Environmental microbiology (4 ECTS)
- Biogeochemistry (4 ECTS)
- Biotechnological waste management (4ECTS)
- Ecotoxicology (4 ECTS)
- Analysis and identification of chemical contaminants (4 ECTS)
- Toxicokinetics and toxicodynamics (4 ECTS)
- Epidemiological surveillance (4 ECTS)
- Biotechnology of food and water safety (4 ECTS)
- Special foods and nutraceuticals (4 ECTS)
- Virus biotechnology (4 ECTS)
- Biotechnology entrepreneurship fundamentals (3 ECTS)
- Selection and evaluation of projects in Biotechnology (3 ECTS)
- Novel aproaches for the design of drugs and diagnostics (3 ECTS)
- Ecological footprint of biotechnological production (4 ECTS)
- Master's thesis(24 ECTS)
- Biotechnology company management (4 ECTS)
- Legal issues and intellectual property(4 ECTS)
- Bionanotechnology(4 ECTS)
- Biosensors for the detection of contaminants (4 ECTS)
- Physical enviromental factors and disease ((4 ECTS)
- Conservation of biological resources(4 ECTS)
- Bioremediation(4 ECTS)
- Environmental riskassessment(4 ECTS)
- Detailed Information on the Syllabus:
The University of Oviedo has signed agreements with the Université de Pau et des Pays de l'Adour (France), the Instituto Tecnológico de Monterrey (Mexico) and the Universitá di Bologna (Italy), and the University of Cranfield (UK) enabling students who comply with the provisions of the corresponding agreement to obtain a double degree. These international itineraries offer students the possibility of specializing in different aspects related to Biotechnology of Environment and Health.
COMPULSORY ACTIVITIES(40 ECTS)
Basic core module. Aimed at giving a deep understanding of the biotechnological tools used in molecular and cellular biology with an emphasis on health an environmental applications.
General module Specific courses aimed at developing communitation skills, to provide general knowledge of basic safety procedures in the laboratory, and to introduce students to issues in ethics in biotechnology.
Practicum I (Experimental or professional training) (12 ECTS)
OPTIONAL SUBJECTS(20 ECTS) (minimum of 4 ECTS from each module)
Basic environmental module. Addresses the study of the main chemical and microbiological contaminants present in the environment as well as the exploitation of microorganisms to protect or restore natural environments from the chemical damage caused by human activities.
Basic health module. Mostly devoted to the study of the main chemical and biological environmental hazards that may directly affect health, with special emphasis on early detection
COMPULSORY ACTIVITIES (44 ECTS)
Focused on the principles of biotechnology business creation management as well as on advanced studies related to environment and health issues.
Practicum II (Experimental or professional training) (6 ECTS)
OPTIONAL SUBJECTS (16 ECTS) (taking at least one subject from each module)
Biotechnology management module
Focussed on the legal an social issues of Biotechnology, and the principies of business creation and management
Advanced health module
Overview of modem techniques, applications or techniques on the frontier with other fields leading to new approaches to health biotechnology.
Advanced environmental module
Focused on advanced aspects of environmental biotechnology, with special emphasis on damage evaluation and prevention.
Note: Numbers in parentheses indicate the number of ECTS credits for each subject.
- International Center for Postgraduate Studies
Plaza de Riego. Historical Building
- 985 10 49 17 / 985 10 49 18
- 985 10 49 59
- International Center for Postgraduate Studies
- Francisco Parra Fernández
- 985 10 35 63
- María Teresa Fernández Sánchez
- 985 10 42 10
Other Websites of the Master's Degree:
Internationalization and Companies
Student Mobility for Studies
- Universitaet Bremen (Alemania)
- Technische Universität Graz (Austria)
- Universität Wien (Austria)
- Universiteit Gent (Belgium)
- Univerzita Pavla Jozefa Safarika V Kosiciach (Slovakia)
- Itä-suomen Yliopisto (Finladn)
- Agrocampus Ouest (France)
- Cranfield University (United Kingdom)
- University of Plymouth (United Kingdom)
Double Mastrs' Degree
- Maestría en Ciencias del TEC de Monterrey (México)
- Master en Bioprotection et Microbilogy of l'environnement. Université de Pau et des Pays de L'Adour (France)
- Máster en Biotecnología Médica de Alma Mater Studiorum-Universitá di Bologna (Italy))
Stakeholders collaborating with the Master Programme