Certificate Degrees and Continuing Education
Máster's Degree in Business Tourism Management *
Teaching Languages: Spanish
Duration: 1 year (60 ECTS credits)
Tuition Fee: 5200 euros
The ones established in the regulations on Studies leading to Own Degrees of the University of Oviedo. Candidates must be graduates in order to access these kind of degrees.
Entry application of holders of a non-approved foreign degree shall be accompanied by a report of the body responsible certifying the suitability of the degree presented as well as their equivalence with a Spanish higher education degree.
Students must be either:
- Professionals devoted to the field of hotels, travel agencies, tourist planning and tourist promotion provided they meet the legal requirements to access University studies.
Holders of a foreign higher education degree as provided in article 11 of the Agreement 29.11.2007 of the Board of Governors of the University of Oviedo, which approves the regulation of studies leading to an own degree and other postgraduate studies.
Modality: Blended learning (face-to-face and distance learning classes)
Schedule: Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from 15:00 to 20:00.
Some of the activities will be held on Saturday morning due to the fact that lectures have to move from one city to another.
Teaching Center: School of Tourism of Asturias
On completion of the Master's course, graduates will be able to access positions with different levels of responsibility (administrators, organizators, coordinators, promoters, managers, etc.) in different companies and institutions from the field of the events industry such as:
- Professional Congress Organizers
- Departments of Meetings and Conventions of Travel Agencies
- Events departments of hotels and hotel chains
- Congress and exhibition centers
- Unique locations
- Convention Bureaux
- Promotion departments of congress destinations at local, regional and state public bodies
- Companies and bodies with event departments
- Agencies devoted to the organization of events
- Business auxiliary services
- Communication agencies
- Business club and Convention bureaus
This is a one-year Master's course distributed into two terms consisting of 60 ECTS credits.
MODULE 1: THE MEETINGS MARKET AND MANAGEMENT OF DESTINATION (M.1).- 6 ECTS
- UNIT 1.- Introduction to the meetings market.
- UNIT 2.- Types, characteristics and actors of Business
- UNIT 3.- Market evolution and trends.
- UNIT 4.- Planning a MICE destination.
- UNIT 5.- Management formulae of a business destination.
- UNIT 6.- Positioning strategies.
- Practical workshop, "Variety of venues and management models" with the attendance of entrepreneurs and managers of congress facilities, fair trades and managers of event departments at hotels.
- Practical workshop on "Promotional dossier of a congress headquarters".
- Practical workshop on "Submitting an application for an international congress".
- Conference "Convention Bureau: evolution and future challenges" taught by renowned professionals related to congress offices.
- Conference "Promoting an urban destination: the experience of Asturias" taught by a renowned professional of the field.
ADDITIONAL TECHNICAL VISITS:
- Prince Felipe Auditorium of Oviedo and Ciudad de Oviedo Congress Bureau.
- Laboral, Ciudad de la Cultura in Gijón.
- Visit to a unique venue: Edificio Histórico at the University of Oviedo.
- Visit to a unique venue: Castillo del Bosque de la Zoreda.
- OPTIONAL (not included in the enrolment fees) – visit to EITBM in Barcelona, one of the leading international trade fairs for meetings and incentives.
MODULE 2: MANAGEMENT AND OPERATION OF EVENTS.- (M.2) .- ECTS 10
- UNIT 1.-MANAGEMENT AND ORGANIZATION OF TRADE FAIRS AND EXHIBITIONS.
- UNIT 2.- CONGRESS PLANNING AND OPERATIVE MANAGEMENT.
- UNIT 3.- MANAGEMENT AND ORGANIZATION OF CONVENTIONS AND SOCIAL EVENTS.
- UNIT 4.- CULTURAL AND SPORTS EVENTS.
- UNIT 5.- INCENTIVES, NEW PRODUCTS AND PARALLEL PROGRAMMES.
- 1st Workshop "International promotion of a cultural event: Prince of Asturias Awards"
- 2nd Workshop on "Designing and programming an incentive trip"
- 3rd Workshop on "Thermal tourism and business tourism"
- 4th Workshop on "Corporate tourism and sightseeing trains"
- 5th Conference on "Special characteristics in the management of a sports event" taught by the Travel Manager of a major Sports Club.
- 6th Conference on "Importance of the OPC in the integral management of an event" taught by the president of OPC in Spain
ADDITIONAL TECHNICAL VISITS:
- La Magdalena Fair ground, Avilés
- Hotels specializing in conventions and social events
- Ciudad de Avilés Cultural Centre (Niemeyer)
- Las Caldas, Thermal village
MODULE 3.- BUDGET MANAGEMENT AND EVENTS FINANCING- (M.3).- ECTS 4.
- UNIT 1.- APPLIED ACCOUNTING.
- UNIT 2.- ANALYSIS OF THE DIFFERENT SOURCES OF FUNDING.
- UNIT 3.- BUSINESS PLAN AND VIABILITY OF A PROJECT.
- UNIT 4.- BUDGET AND PROFITABILITY.
Practical workshop on "Comprehensive planning of a congress, including the technical and economic aspect and analysis of the different stages of the budget, calculation of the registration fees, the sponsorship forms and break-even point".
MODULE 4.- MANAGERIAL SKILLS- (M.4).- ECTS 4.
- UNIT 1.- LEADERSHIP AND COMMUNICATION.
- UNIT 2.- PLANNING AND EFFICIENT MANAGEMENT OF TIME.
- UNIT 3.- MANAGING WORKTEAMS.
- UNIT 4.- INNOVATION AND CREATIVITY.
- UNIT 5.- BUSINESS STRATEGIES AND TECHNIQUES.
- 1st Workshop on "Non-verbal communication" taught by a renowned coach".
- 2nd Wrokshop on "Group dynamics"
- 3rd Workshop on "Teambuilding"
- 4th Conference on "Human capital in events companies" taught by the administrator of an international OPC".
MODULE 5.- SPECIFIC TOOLS IN THE MANAGEMENT OF EVENTS. (M.5) ECTS 8.
- UNIT 2.- INNOVATION, SUSTAINABILITY AND RSC.
- UNIT 3.- ROI MEASUREMENT KEYS IN EVENTS.
- UNIT 4.- COMMUNICATION AND RELATIONS TECHNIQUES WITH THE MEDIA.
- UNIT 5.- WEB POSITIONING, SOCIAL NETWORK AND 2.0.
- UNIT 6.- THE CATERING: ADDED VALUE IN THE CREATIVITY OF AN EVENT.
- UNIT 1.- APPLIED PROTOCOL.
- 1st Workshop on "Gastronomy, a differentiating element"
- 2nd Workshop on "Design and online promotion of an event"
- 3rd Conference on "Sustainability at Congress Bureaus" taught by the President of the Sapan Congress Bureau".
- 4th Conference on "Safety, a key element in the organization of an event" given by an outstanding and well-known professional.
- 5th Conference on "21st-century events: creativity and new formats" given by the head of a business group devoted to communication in the field of events.
MÓDULO 6.- ENGLISH FOR EVENTS . (M.6) ECTS 6.
ADDITIONAL ACTIVITY: Practical online workshops:
INTERNSHIP IN COMPANIES OF THE FIELD 12 ECTS
MASTER'S THESIS 10 ECTS
Secretary's Office of the University School of Tourism of Asturias
Telephone: 985 96 60 35
Guillermo Pérez Bustamante
Office: Faculty of Economy and Business. Department of Business Management. Campus de El Cristo - Avda. del Cristo, s/n 33006 Oviedo