The University of Oviedo ratifies its seal of Campus of International Excellence
December 10, 2013
The International Committee determines that the CIE Asturias-Ad Futurum has the potential to become "the promoter of regional development". The report highlights the progress made in terms of teaching and internationalization, the interactions with the enterprises and the relation with the environment of the region.
The University of Oviedo ratifies its status as Campus of International Excellence after passing a new evaluation conducted by the Internationa Committee, composed by seven experts. The report highlights the progress made in terms of teaching and internationalization, the interactions with the enterprises and the relation with the environment of the region. The evaluators considered that "upon the base of the current achievements", the CIE Asturias-Ad Futurm has the potential to "become the promoter of regional development".
The current evaluation assessed the progress of the CIE of the University of Oviedo since its inception, at the end of November, 2009, until June 2013, or in other words, the actions that have taken place during the past four years. The report composed by the Ministry of Education, Culture and Sports shows a "reasonable progress" of the CIE Asturias-Ad Futurm, the disappearance of all the flaws detected the past year and includes up to seven strong points:
- International teaching. The report refers to the "clear commitment to internationalization", the progress in bilingual education, the International Center for Postgraduate Studies and the participation in international teaching networks.
- The re-organization of centers.
- The future establishment of an oceanographic observatory.
- The support to the job placement of the graduate in a tough labor market.
- The establishment of Double Undergraduate and Master's Degrees.
- The LAUDEO initiative (Cultural Center of University Extension) as a model to reinforce the links of the University with the region.
- The participation in European technological platforms and networks.
As a general recommendation, evaluators suggest, in advance to the final assessment in 2014, commenting the plans and challenges of the future, and highlighting the collaboration with the local industry. "The interaction with the enterprises seem to be coming along, and it must be a focus of the future", points out the report in its general considerations.
This assessment is different from previous ones in that it evaluates the overall results of the actions that have taken place as part of the program of Excellence, even in the years there were no calls to answer. The CIE Asturias-Ad Futurum has managed to secure external funding with which it will be able to continue the policies included in the initial project. Just in 2013, 1.2 million Euros from external funding were brought in, which were invested primarily in scholarships and grants, bilingual plans and international mobility.
The program of Campus of International Excelence is part of the Strategy 2015 of the Government of Spain an, even if it has ceased to have its own funding, maintains the assessment of the objectives agreed upon in previous calls. The University of Oviedo was one of the first nine to obtain the seal of excellence with the Ad Futurum project, in 2009.