Certificate Degrees and Continuing Education
Expert's Degree in Surgical & Resuscitation Nursing
Teaching Languages: Spanish
Places: 21. Minimum number of students required: 21
Número mínimo de alumnos exigido: 21
Duration: 1 year (20 ECTS Credits)
Tuition Fee: 1.150 €
Being in possession of an official University Degree. Nevertheless, exceptionally, admission will be extended to professionals directly related to to the speciality of the course who lack a Degree, as long as they prove their professional careers and meet the legal criteria to access University courses.
Please check the Agreement of November 29, 2007 of the Governing Council of the University of Oviedo, which approves the regulation of studies leading to Certificate Degrees and other Postgraduate Degrees (BOPA, January 12, 2008).
Only period for pre-registration and enrollment
- Pre-registration: June 2 to August 20
- Provisional Lists of admitted applicants:September 7
- Complaints: September 9
- Definitive Lists: September 12
- Enrollment: September 15-19
The following criteria will be taken into account for the students selction: one place available for each area of the service that does not provide its own training and the rest of places for the Health Area III.
Modality: Attendance required
- Theoretical Module: October-December. Mondays to Fridays, from 16:00 to 20:00.
- Theoretical-Practical Module: N/A.
- Practical module: Mondays to Fridays, from 08:00 to 14:00.
Teaching Center: San Agustín Hospital
Nursing is an essential element of our health systems and is set to develop increasingly complex and relevant functions. The Expert's degree in Surgical and Resuscitation Nursing offers a wide range of possibilities to enter the labour market. Job opportunities are varied and cater for the different fields where activities relating to health care requiring surgery are carried out.
As in the other fields of nursing, graduates can develop their professional career in the following fields:
Both in the private and public scope, nurses carry out health care tasks and apply the necessary nursing care for a comprehensive assitance to the patient of the surgical and resuscitation unit as well as the perioperative care.
Institutions where graduates can develp their assistance activity are the following:
- Both public and private hospitals offering surgical assistance to the patients.
- Health facilities with surgical pathology divisions both for Major Ambulatory Surgery and local anesthetic interventions.
Experienced professionals with specific training will be skilled to occupy management posts.
This course aims to enable students their professional development considering the surgical patient the main element of the perioperative process.
The complexity of the techniques used in the surgical area and the technological progress take place steadily, as well as demographic changes, the increasing demand of the population for health approaches and the contribution of nursing to healthcare within an interdisciplinary workteam, require graduate training enabling students to gain the necessary skills for this field.
On completion of the course, graduates can develop their professional career in the following fields:
- Health care
- Educational field
- Institutional field, such as ministries, councils and municipalities.
Students will be trained by experienced nurses with specific training necessary to provide them with a high quality training. One of the defining features of the educational activity of the course is its permanet updating in order to adapt to the changings operating at the University and the society and aimed at preparing students with the highest levels of excellence.
Expert nurses in the field or Surgery and Resuscitation can develop their educational career at:
- Intermediate and high vocational training cycles
- Postgraduate courses and Master degrees
- Life-long learning for healthcare professionals
- In situ training of new professionals
Research has turned into an essential instrument to ensure the continuous improvement of quality healthcare. In this course, students are encouraged to carry out research activities through the preparation of a final project relating to the field.
The VI edition of the course will last 500 hours and distributed into 2 terms to complete 20 ECTS credits.
1. A theoretical module of 32 lessons on nursing care in the Surgical Area. Lessons will be given in the classrooms duly empowered by the hospital for that purpose:
- Surgical set: Devices of an operating room. Aseptic and antiseptic techniques. Surveillance, prevention and infection control. Transfusion in surgical patients. Psychological preparation of the patient. Professional responsibility in the surgical area.
- Sterilization: Sterilization systems and material processing
- Anesthesia and resuscitation: general, local and loco-regional anesthesia. Nursing care in the resuscitation stage.
- General surgery: Major Ambulatory Surgery, breast surgery, mechanical surgery and laparoscopic surgery. General surgery, sutures and sample collection. Surgical techniques and postoperative pain.
- Specialties: plastic, vascular maxillofacial, thoracic surgery, neurosurgery, dermatology, urology, oftalmology, traumatology, otolaringology, orthopedics, maternal and fetal care...
THEORETICAL AND PRACTICAL MODULE
2. Based on a group of 7 workshops on the field of Surgery composed of 6 – 7 students.
3. Students will rotate throughou t different operating rooms and sterilization units supervised by the nurses of the corresponding services.
José Siro Pérez Álvarez
Office: Department of Surgery and Medical-Surgical Specialities.
Elena García Peláez