Certificate Degrees and Continuing Education
Specialist's Degree in Hospital Dentistry and Special Patients *
Teaching Languages: Spanish
Duration: 48 ECTS credits, 2 years
Tuition Fee: €20.000 (€10.000/year)
Having achieved an official University Degree. Nevertheless, excepcionally, professionals who are directly related with the specialty of the course may be accepted in, as long as they verify their profession with the corresponding documentation and fulfill the legal requirements needed to enrol in university studies.
For more information, refer to the Agreement of November 27, 2007, of the Government Council of the University of Oviedo, in which it approved the regulations of studies leading to Specific Degrees and other Postgraduate Studies (BOPA, January 12, 2008).
Admission Requirements: Esta formación está dirigida exclusivamente a Licenciados en Odontología / Médicos Especialistas en Estomatología.
La selección de los candidatos se hará atendiendo a los siguientes criterios:
- Valoración de las calificaciones de los estudios de Licenciatura: máximo 4 puntos.
- Valoración del Programa de Doctorado: máximo 4 puntos.
- Otros méritos relacionados con la odontología (asistencia a cursos, congresos, premios, comunicaciones, formación clínica en centros acreditados, etc.): máximo 8 puntos.
- Los preseleccionados serán convocados por correo electrónico a una prueba que consistirá en un examen escrito con 50 preguntas tipo test sobre temas relacionados con los objetivos del título: máximo 10 puntos.
Se realizará entrevista personal, sólo en caso de empate en la puntuación total.
Modality: Attendance required
Schedule: Attendance is required for 10 hours per month. Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays during the afternoon.
UNIVERSITY CLINIC OF DENTISTRY (UESBD)
Special Unit for Mouth and Tooth Healthcare of the HUCA (Central University Hospital of Asturias)
The main objective of this Degree is to enable Odontologists or Dentists to apply their medical knowledge derived from the pathology suffered by the patients who go to a Hospital Dentistry Unit, and personalize the odontological methods and therapies which allow them to affect the health of the patient for the best, avoiding unnecessary risks.
Moreover, the Degree aims at training said Odontologists or Dentists in fulfilling the social, scientific and health requirements of patients in risk (medically compromised or mentally handicapped), who need a specific odontological care and treatment.
Students who complete this Degree will be able to:
- Work at the Hospital Units that are being, and have recently been, created in different Autonomous Communities.
- Handle with care and quality a continuously-growing number of patients, more than 50% of those who go to dentistry clinics, due to the changes in longevity and the medical progress that allow for a greater life expectancy and a better quality of life at older ages.
The Specific Degree in University Specialist in Hospital Dentistry and Special Patients has a duration of 2 years, which are distributed in the following modules:
MODULE 1: FIRST COURSE (25 ECTS)
- HOSPITAL DENTISTRY (5 ECTS)
- DENTISTRY IN MEDICALLY COMPROMISED PATIENTS (10 ECTS)
- DENTISTRY IN PATIENTS WITH DISABILITIES I (5 ECTS)
- ANESTHETICS AND AMBULATORY SURGERY IN DENTISTRY (5 ECTS)
MODULE 2: SECOND COURSE (23 ECTS)
- DENTISTRY IN PATIENTS WITH DISABILITIES II (5 ECTS)
- ANESTHETICS AND AMBULATORY SURGERY IN DENTISTRY (2 ECTS)
- MEDICAL EMERGENCIES IN DENTISTRY (7 ECTS)
- METHODOLOGY OF CLINICAL RESEARCH IN DENTISTRY (7 ECTS)
- MASTER'S THESIS AND FINAL EXAMINATION (2 ECTS)
Each of the modules is in turn composed of seminars and specific practical classes.
Through the whole course, there will be seminars specific to the subjects taught. Attendance is part of the compulsory requirements of the Degree.
- Sessions for revising update bibliography.
- Theoretical-practical seminars specific to the taught disciplines.
- Presentation of clinical cases.
- Seminars taught be teachers on specific matters of integral assistance to special patients.
- Attendance to congresses and professional meetings, specially to those related to the specific discipline (SEOEME, IADH, SEPA).
Practical teaching is present in each of the modules and is part of the compulsory in-person work of the Degree.
- Integral dentistry care of ambulatory patients in the UESBD and the CLUO.
- Aid for re-graduate teaching solving advanced cases.
- Integral odontological assisstance for special and medically compromised patients in hospital regime, in the operating theater under general anethetic in the HUCA-UESBD.
Director: Dr. Elena López-Arranz
Telephone: 985 108000 ext. 38521