Certificate Degrees and Continuing Education
Specialist's Degree in Management of Convention Tourism*
Teaching Languages: Spanish / English
Places: Minimum: 11 - Maximum: 30
Duration: 1 year (44 ECTS credits)
Tuition Fee: €4,000
The ones established in the regulations on Studies leading to Own Degrees of the University of Oviedo. Candidates must be graduates in order to access these kind of degrees.
Entry application of holders of a non-approved foreign degree shall be accompanied by a report of the body responsible certifying the suitability of the degree presented as well as their equivalence with a Spanish higher education degree.
Admission Requirements: Candidates are required any of the following conditions:
- Hold a University Degree
- Be a professional of the field, such as travel agencies, tourist planning and promotion, owners of toursit establihments, etc
Modality: Blended learning
Schedule: Wednesday, Friday and Saturday from 15:00 to 20:00.
Some of the activities will be held on Saturday due to to lecturers coming from outside the region.
Teaching Center: School of Tourism of Asturias
On completion of the course, students will be able to access positions with different levels of responsibility (directors, managers, coordinators, promoters, etc) in different companies and institutions of the events field such as:
- Professional Congrress Organizers
- Congress and Convention Departments of Travel Agencies
- Events Departments of Hotels and Hotel Chaind
- Unique Venues
- Convention Bureaux
- Convention Bureaux.
- Departments for the promotion of Congress Destinations from local, autonomous or state administrations.
- Companies and organizations with Events Deparments
- Business Auxiliary Services
- Communication Agencies
- Business Clubs
This is a one-year course organized into two terms consisting of 44 ECTS credits.
MODULE 1: MEETINGS MARKET AND DESTINATION MANAGEMENT. (M.1.) – 6 ECTS
- UNIT 1.- Introduction to the Meetings Market
- UNIT 2.- Types, characteristics and stakeholders of the Meetings Market
- UNIT 3.- Market evolution and trends
- UNIT 4.- Planning a MICE destination
- UNIT 5.- Management formulas of a Meeting destination
- UNIT 6.- Positioning management
- Practical workshop "Diversity of venues and management models" with the collaboration of businessmen and directors of Congress venues, fairgrounds and responsibles of hotels.
- Practical workshop "Promotional dossier of a congress venue"
- Practical workshop "Presenting a candidature for an international congress"
- Conference "Promotion of an urban destination: the Asturian experience", given by a well-known professional of the field
ADDITIONAL TECHNICAL VISITS :
- Auditorium Prince of Asturias and Ciudad de Oviedo Congress Bureau.
- Laboral, ciudad de la cultura in Gijón
- Visit to the Edificio Histórico of the University of Oviedo
- Visit to the El Bosque de la Zoreda Castle.
- OPTIONAL visit (not included in the course fees) – Visit to the EITBM of Barcelona, one of the most important international fairs in the field of Meetings and Events.
MODULE 2: MANAGING AND ORGANIZING EVENTS . – (M.2). – 10 ECTS
- UNIT 1.- MANAGING AND ORGANIZING FAIRS AND EXHIBITIONS
- UNIT 2.- PLANNING AND ORGANIZING A CONGRESS
- UNIT 3.- MANAGING AND ORGANIZING CONVENTIONS AND SOCIAL EVENTS
- UNIT 4.- SPORTS AND CULTURAL EVENTS
- UNIT 5.- INVENTIVES, NEW PRODUCTS AND PARALELL PROGRAMMES.
- Workshop "International visibility of a cultural event: Prince of Asturias Awards"
- Workshop "Designing and programming an incentive trip"
- Workshhop "Thermal and Meeting tourism"
- Workshop "Tourist trains and corporate tourism"
- Conference "Special features in the management of an sports event" given by the travel manager of an important sports club.
- Conference "Relevance of the OPC in the global management of events" given by the president of OPC Spain.
ADDITIONAL TECHNICAL VISITS::
- La Magdalena fairground, Avilés
- Hotels devoted to congresses and social events
- Ciudad de Avilés cultural centre (Niemeyer)
- Las Caldas Spa complex
MODULE 3: BUDGET MANAGEMENT AND FUNDING OF EVENTS .- (M.3).- ECTS 4.
- UNIT 1.- APPLIED ACCOUNTING
- UNIT 2.- ANALYSIS OF THE DIFFERENT SOURCES OF FINANCING
- UNIT 3.- BUSINESS PLAN AND FEASABILITY OF A PROJECT
- UNIT 4.- BUDGET AND COST- EFFECTIVENESS
RELATED ACTIVITY: Practical workshop: "Global planning of a congress, including the technical and economic aspects and analyzing the different stages of the budget, the calculation of the registration fee, sponsorship ways and breakeven".
MODULE 4.- ENGLISH FOR EVENTS . (M.4) ECTS 4.
- UNIT 1.- English for Events: ESP
- Unit 1: Engaging international audiences:
- Building rapport
- Making things interesting
- How to influence people
- Let' s get interactive
- Unit 2: Conferences
- Planning a conference programme
- Conference facilities
- Inspecting a conference
- Changing a conference programme
- Unit 3: Presentations
- Open with impact
- Signpost clearly
- Put yourself in your audience' s shoes
- Handle the difficult questions
- Manage your ending
- RELATED ACTIVITY: the students will also attend practical workshops given mainly online addressed to :
- directing them to online content which they can use to practice and prepare for business communication situations such as meetings, presentations and negotiations.
- developing specific English-language skills students frequently use online such as reading and writing emails, understanding websites, taking part in online conferences and discussions.
- introducing them to ways they can use the Internet to continue improving their English once they' ve finished the course. These include using news websites to practice their reading and podcasts to improve their listening, and setting up e-learning exchanges in which they can practice speaking English with a native speaker online.
- Unit 1: Engaging international audiences:
MODULE 5.- SPECIFIC TOOL FOR THE MANAGEMENT OF EVENTS . (M.5) ECTS 8.
- UNIT 1.- APPLIED PROTOCOL
- UNIT 2.- INNOVATION, SUSTAINABILITY AND RSC.
- UNIT 3.- KEYS FOR ROI MEASUREMENT IN EVENTS
- UNIT 4.- TECHNICAL COMMUNICATION AND RELATIONSHIPS WITH THE MEDIA
- UNIT 5.- WEB POSITIONING, SOCIAL NETWORKS AND 2.0
- UNIT 6.- THE CATERING: ADDED VALUE IN THE CREATIVITY OF AN EVENT.
- Workshop "Gastronomy, a differentiating element"
- Workshop "Designing and managing the online promotion of an event" Conference "Sustainability in Congress grounds" given by the President of the
- Conference "Sustainability in Congress grounds" given by the President of the Spanish association of Congress Bureaux
- Conference "Safety, a key element in the organization of an event" given by a well-known professional of the field.
- Conference "21 century events: Creativity in new formats" given by the responsible of a company devoted to communication in the field of events.
INTERNSHIPS IN COMPANIES OF THE FIELD. 12 ECTS credits.
Secretary's Office of the University School of Tourism of Asturias
Telephone: 985 96 60 35