Statement on the grouping of bibliographical archives at the Campus of Gijón
February 07, 2014
In relation to the grouping of the bibliographical archives located at the study room of the Multi-purpose Room of the Campus of Gijón to the Central Library of said Campus, the Office of the Rector informs the university community that:
- There has been, nor there will be, no closure of premises used by the students of the Campus of Gijón.
- The service of library loans is guaranteed.
- While the University has grouped its bibliographical archives, this does not translate as a decrease in the services of loaning and consulting, nor the closure of study spaces.
- The study room of the Multi-purpose Building will remain open and its closure has not been considered at any moment. This space has 94 places for reading and the 3,300 volumes that were previously located there will be accessible at the Central Library of the Campus, 800 m away, at the North Classroom Building. This Library has 36,400 volumes and 561 places for studying. Its staff is composed by a chief of service, two librarians and five specialist technicians, who provide their services during the morning and the afternoon.
- Bibliographical loaning at the reading room of the Multi-purpose Building was provided by a helper librarian, who was moved to the library of the Jovellanos Faculty of Commerce, Tourism and Social Sciences, and an entry-level employee, who retired last month.
- The Library of the Jovellanos Faculty of Commerce, Tourism and Social Sciences, located at the Campus of Gijón, has 290 study places, a bibliographical archive of 35,000 volumes and is looked after by a librarian, a helper librarian (wo comes from the study room of the Multi-purpose Building) and two specialist technicians.
- The Campus of Gijón has a service of university library with a technical staff that is adequate and sufficient to offer library and loaning services, and the number of study places is enough to cover the needs of the students.
- The Governing Body of the University of Oviedo guarantees that the libraries of the Campus of Gijón will continue to offer its services for the whole university community.